Caramelised Pumpkin & Onion Pizza with Goat Cheese Feta
(gluten, cow’s dairy, egg, soy & nut free, vegetarian)
My first attempt at gluten & cow’s dairy free pizza using buffalo mozzarella didn’t go well. I read that some people with cows milk intolerance, can have buffalo milk. While it tasted amazing, it turns out buffalo’s are way too closely related to cows for me. Thankfully, I have either developed a taste for goats cheese, or I’ve managed to find a few brands that are less ‘goaty’. I’m loving goat milk brie and marinated feta at the moment.
My husband loves pizza, so I have been on a search to find a way I can have it too. I tinkered with a few ingredients, and mixing bits of recipes I found in magazine’s and came up with this. I will definitely be making it again, it was really good. It even received a quite surprised “babe, this is awesome” from the meat-lover pizza loving husband.
- 50g dairy free butter (I use Nuttelex Olive Oil Blend)
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 large spanish red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup (125ml) chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tbs dark brown sugar
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 2 large GF ready-made pizza bases (Julian’s Pizza bases are by far the best GF & DF bases I have found)
- 125g Marinated goats feta cheese (Meredith Dairy brand is so creamy, and not too ‘goaty’ – If dairy isn’t an issue for you, Persian Fetta is great instead)
- 1 tsp thyme leaves, chopped
- Pre-made GF tomato pasta sauce (I used Leggo’s vine ripened tomato pasta sauce as a last minute addition, can make without sauce)
- salt & pepper to taste
- caramelised balsamic vinegar (I love Pukara Estate) & the oil from the marinated fetta, to drizzle
- Preheat your oven to 200°C
- Heat the butter in a large frypan over low heat, add the pumpkin & onion and cook gently, stirring occasionally, until just tender.
- Add stock, 1/4 cup water, sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated and the pumpkin & onion has caramelised. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce over pizza, if using it. Scatter pizza bases with the baby spinach, then top with pumpkin & onion mixture, top with goats fetta and thyme, then drizzle with some of the oil from the marinated fetta.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until base is crisp and cheese is lightly browning. Remove from oven, and slice up the pizza. Drizzle sparingly with caramelised balsamic vinegar.