Jalapeno, Cheddar & Bacon Corn Fritters
These Jalapeno Corn Fritters were so good that I decided to persevere with trying to photograph them in terrible lighting conditions, during a torrential storm we were having last weekend. I’m not happy with the pics, but the recipe is so good, that I am posting it anyway. I always have to look at my own blog to remember how I made something, and I don’t want to forget these, they were amazing! So please excuse my terrible pictures, and trust me that they are good 🙂
I’ve always been a bit scared of jalapeno’s, I’ve been a bit of a sook when it comes to chilli until recently. I’ve been increasing my chilli tolerance to the point where I now want chilli in everything, but jalapeno’s still freaked me out, but these weren’t really hot, they just had a nice kick to them which complemented the other flavours really well.
These have lactose free cheddar cheese in them, when I first came off dairy I couldn’t tolerate lactose free products either, but recently I have found that I can eat lactose free and low lactose products like hard cheeses and greek yoghurt, which I’m am pretty happy about. I can’t have yoghurt first thing in the morning, but I can have it later in the day, I must need a buffer. If you can’t have any dairy, just leave the cheese out, it should (hopefully) be fine. Or if you want a vegetarian version, leave out the bacon.
SUITABLE FOR: gluten, lactose, egg soy & nut free diets. (Contains lactose free cheese)
4 large ears of fresh corn
310g can creamed corn + 3 tablespoons chia seeds (or can use 2-3 eggs)
2-3 tablespoons milk of choice, I used rice milk because I had it open
2 rashers of bacon, or 4 slices shortcut bacon, chopped (leave out if you want vegetarian)
3-4 Jalapeno’s finely chopped (mine were pretty mild, I used 3 and it wasn’t too hot)
3 green onions (shallots in Aus), thinly sliced
handful of coriander (cilantro) leaves, roughy chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (I used Liddel’s lactose free)
3/4 cup flour of choice, I used “Yes You Can” Gluten Free plain flour, can also use rice flour
2 teaspoons ground coriander seed powder
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 lime, zested and juiced, plus another lime to serve in wedges
salt & pepper to taste
Olive oil to fry
1. If not using egg. In a small bowl, mix the creamed corn and chia seeds and put aside for 5-10 mins while preparing other ingredients. This lets the seeds thicken up, and form a gel like consistency to replace the egg.
2. Using a sharp knife, remove the kernels from the ears of corn. I find it easiest to do this ever the large mixing bowl you will use to mix everything together. Hold the corn at the top, then cut down through the kernels.
3. In a large frypan, add a tablesoon of oil, and cook off the chopped bacon. Remove from the heat and add the bacon to the mixing bowl. Set the frypan aside to use to cook fritters.
4. Add all the remaining ingredients to the mixing bowl, including the creamed corn mixture, and mix well. Season with salt & pepper. Check the consistency, it should be just wet enough to hold together, add more flour or milk depending on if its too dry or wet, if needed.
5. Heat oil about 1cm deep in the large frypan, over a med/high heat. Once hot, add heaped spoonfuls of the mixture and gently flatten out, make sure not to make too thin or it won’t hold together. Let cook until brown and then turn over. I find if I try to turn it too soon, they stick to the frypan and break apart. Continue until all cooked.
6. Serve with mexican taco sauce, coriander (cilantro) leaves, lime wedges and sour cream if you can have it, I added some Tofutti dairy free sour cream to mine and it was great!