Chicken & Chorizo Casserole
This casserole may not look like much, but boy does it taste good. I was a little curious about the mix of ingredients, they didn’t struck me as going together, mainly because of the curry leaves, but it works.
I saw a recipe online and made a mental note of the main ingredients, but then couldn’t find it again when I wanted to make it. So I decided to wing it and hope for the best. The smell of it cooking was devine, so glad it tasted as good as it smells!
SUITABLE FOR: dairy, gluten, egg, seafood, sugar, nut & soy free diets. Also suitable for paleo (leave wine out if you don’t want it, just add more stock)
Ingredients (serves 6)
* 1.2km free range chicken thighs
* 2 good quality chorizo sausages, halved lengthwise, then sliced in 1cm pieces
* 3 medium/large purple potatoes, quartered, then sliced 2 cm apart
* 2 carrots, sliced into 2 cm slices
* 6-8 eshallots, peeled and sliced (0r 1 large onion diced)
* 4 cloves garlic
* Handful of fresh curry leaves
* 2 heaped tablespoons Dijon mustard
* 250ml dry white wine
* 500ml chicken stock
* Salt & pepper
1. In a large casserole stovetop pot with a lid, add olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add chicken thighs in batches and brown on both sides. Remove from pot.
2. Add more olive oil, then add the chorizo, eshallots, carrot & potatoes and stir until chorizo cooked.
3. Add the garlic and the curry leaves and stir for 1 minute. Add the mustard and stir through. Add the chicken back to the pot and stir to cover in sauce.
4. Add the white wine & half the chicken stock and season with salt & pepper
5. Place lid on the pot and cook on a low heat for 1.5 hours or until chicken is falling apart and potatoes are cooked through. Check regularly and stir, add remaining chicken stock through cooking as needed.
6. Serve with steamed veggies