Scrambled Silken Tofu Breakfast with Greens
Breakfast is my least favourite meal, mainly just because I find the options that are egg, dairy & gluten free to be boring, and there is a lack of choices.
I read that Black Salt, which strangely is pink, is the secret ingredient in making great scrambled tofu. I found some at Herbies (they have an online store) and decided to have a go.
I’m now eating them most days for breakfast, I like a lot of flavour so add it lots of herbs, garlic, etc but you can use the basic tofu, Black salt & turmeric mix and then flavour however you like.
They are really good, the silken tofu makes it light and soft & my egg loving hubby enjoys it too. He says it’s not 100% like eggs, but it is close enough and he is happy to have tofu with me.
I’m having mine with sautéed mushrooms, baby spinach & kale at the moment as I’m trying to not eat processed carbs. And because I’m making them before work so want quick and easy, I find using the squeeze tubes of garlic & herbs much quicker.
This recipe is for one person, so just multiply as needed
- 100g silken tofu
- Pinch black salt (gives it an egg taste)
- Pinch turmeric(gives it an egg colour)
- Olive oil (I’m using lemon infused EVOO)
- About 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 to 1 tsp minced herbs (I’m using an Italian herb mix
- Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
- Mix of side veggies eg. baby spinach, kale & mushrooms. Cut up for quick sautéing
- In a small saucepan over a medium heat, add a splash of olive oil, then add the vegggies to sauté until cooked. I do the mushrooms first until cooked, then add the spinach & kale. Season with salt & ppper, I sometimes add the chilli flakes here instead of into the tofu. Remove and put on service plate
- In the same saucepan add a little olive oil, then the garlic & herbs after a minute add the tofu & break it up with a spoon. Add the black pepper, turmeric & chilli if using. Sauté for 2 -3 mins
- Add to plate & enjoy