Prawn,Corn & Zuchhini Fritters with Beetroot & Kale Coleslaw
In an attempt to reduce my meat consumption, I’m trying to eat mostly vegetarian meals throughout the week, end then have one or two meat/seafood meals over the weekend. I could eat all vegetarian, but the idea freaks my husband out, so this is my compromise, and so far he is enjoying all the meals, without a “I need meat” meltdown, but it’s early days.
I haven’t felt like meat at all, but could stomach the idea of prawns today. Still managed to pack in way more veggies than prawns, and it was super yum. If you want a vegetarian version, just leave out the prawns, it’s just as good without them.
I found this awesome vegan mayonnaise during the week, and it really does taste even better than I remember the real thing tasting (I’ve had egg eaters taste test it, and they agree too). For anyone with an egg allergy like me, it’s pretty exciting!
RECIPE (serves 4)
- Olive oil for pan frying
- 2 large ears of fresh corn, carefully remove corn with a sharp knife
- 1 large zucchini, grated
- 3 green shallots (scallions), thinly sliced
- 140g can creamed corn
- 3/4 cup gluten free self raising flour
- 1/2 cup milk of choice, I used soy
- 150g peeled green tiger prawns, chopped
- 1/2 – 1 tspn dried chilli flakes depending on how hot you like it.
- Handful of coriander, chopped
- 1/4 bunch chives, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 egg replacer, or 2 eggs if you can have them. I use 1 tspn chia seeds & 2 tspn flaxmeal in 1/3 cup warm water, mix well and put aside to thicken up.
- Lemon, zest for the mixture, then cut into wedges to serve.
- Mix all ingredients together well, it should be thick, if too wet add more flour, or some more milk if to dry.
- Heat oil in a large frypan, and add spoonfuls of mixture and flatten out so they cook evenly. Need to keep about 8cm diameter, so they hold together well as they have no gluten or eggs.
- Cook for 2-3 mins on each side until cooked through. If sticking, make sure you have enough oil & make sure browned on underside before flipping.
- 1 large fresh raw Beetroot, peeled & grated
- 1 large carrot, peeled & grated
- 1 small/med purple cabbage, outer leaves removed and thinly sliced
- 1bunch Tuscan kale (long thin leaves), thinly sliced
- 3 green shallots (scallions) sliced
- 2-3 tbsp mayonnaise (I used egg free Vegenaise)
- Mix all ingredients together
I hope you enjoyed this post. Please feel free to leave any comments, or just say hi below 🙂 You can also sign up to receive a updates by email using the links on the right hand side of the Home page, or like the Sensitive Foodie Facebook page, or you can visit me on Instagram @thesensitivefoodie or @chards77