Fig, Blueberry, Proscuito, Caramalised Onion & Goats Cheese Pizza
I love fruit on pizza, so much lighter than the heavy cheese toppings you normally have. The fruits and savoury marry together beautifully. The blueberries pop in your mouth, and are lovely and sweet.
I have found a few brands of gluten free pizza bases that are also egg free, and they are so good that I can’t really be bothered with making my own. I used to love making traditional pizza bases from scratch. Getting the yeast to work, and watching the dough rise was part of the fun. Gluten free versions just aren’t the same. So for now, I have no problem with taking the cheats route, and buying them already made.
SUITABLE FOR: gluten, egg, soy and low lactose diets. For vegetarian option, leave out the Proscuito. For nut free, leave out the walnuts.
Ingredients (makes 2 large pizzas)
- 2 pre made large pizza bases
- 3 large brown onions
- 85g butter
- 100g Goats fetta cheese, crumbled
- 4 slices Proscuito, torn into smaller pieces
- 4-5 fresh figs, sliced
- 2 handfuls fresh blueberries
- 2 handfuls walnuts
- Baby rocket
- 1 tspn balsamic vinegar
- Preheat to oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- In a heavy based frypan, melt the butter over a low heat on the stovetop. Add the onions, and stir to coat all the onion. Cook over a low heat for about 30 mins, storing regularly. When the onions are a dark golden colour, and just starting to get crispy bits, they are ready.
- Take the 2 pizza bases and crumble over the goats fetta cheese. Then top with the caramelised onion. Add the Proscuito, figs, blueberries and walnuts.
- Cook in the oven for 15-20 mins until the base is cooked and ready.
- Toss the baby rocket in the balsamic vinegar and some cracked salt & pepper. Then sprinkle over the top of the cooked pizza to serve.